Autism Spectrum Disorders Service Neuropsychology Externship
The Autism Spectrum Disorders Service at the Child Study Center is seeking graduate students to complete a year-long externship in neuropsychology. We are pleased to offer two externships for the coming academic year, at our New York City location at One Park Avenue at 33rd Street. The position is open to graduate students enrolled in a doctoral program with the terminal degree of PhD or PsyD. Applicants should have completed first year coursework in psychological testing. This is a 12-month externship beginning July 1st, 2014 and ending June 30th, 2015.
The number of externships available:
New York City Campus: 2 Externs
- Testing: The position will primarily involve performing neuropsychological evaluations and diagnostic assessments (using the ADI-R and the ADOS-2) of toddlers, childrens, teens, and young adult populations with, or suspeced of having Autism Spectrum Disorder, Tourette's Syndrome, ADHD, developmental delay, and other neuropsychiatric conditions affecting cognitive development, social skills, and learning. The extern will be required to administer, score, and write reports based on test results obtained. Externs will also participate in intake and feedback relevant to these testing cases.
- Psychotherapy: Externs will have the opportunity to conduct individual and family psychotherapy with selected cases.
- Non-clinical: Responsibilities will include weekly individual and group supervision for testing and therapy cases. Participation in seminars and other educational opportunities (e.g., Grand Rounds) are also expected.
- School Visits: Externs are invited to attend monthly school visits in which we are educated about specialized programs throughout the city. Opportunities for classroom observations as part of a clinical evaluation may also be available.
- Research/Electives (Optional): Research opportunities exist at the CSC. An interest in these opportunities should be expressed at the start of the externship year.
- Neuropsychology Training Seminar (Fridays, 12:30-1:30 p.m.) (Required)
- Supervision two-to-one one hour weekly, for testing, and one-to-one, one hour weekly, for therapy. (Required)
- Case Conference (Fridays 9-10:30 a.m.)
- Grand Rounds (Fridays 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.)
The externs assist in presentations within the NYU academic community and external professional and community groups. The role will depend on the extern's level of experience and comfort in the subject area.
Although this is primarily a clinical externship, the CSC is committed to the scientist-practitioner model. We conduct dissemination and translational research, from efficacy trials to real-world implementation. Externs will have opportunities to participate in these endeavors. Interested externs may also have opportunities to prepare clinical case studies for publication or presentation at a professional conference.
- Two full days per week will be required.
- Time for preparation of written reports may be included in these two full days, although externs have elected to use additional time at home to complete report writing and use their days for clinical experience.
- Policies concerning vacation and absences for interviews and conferences will be reviewed with interested applicants.
Those interested in applying should submit a letter of interest, writing sample (intake report preferred), attestation letter from your graduate program stating your eligibility for externship, two to three letters of recommendation (from professors or clinical supervisors) and CV via our online application. Please note if you are interested in applying to more than one externship within the Child Study Center you must submit an application to each externship separately. Applicants with further questions should contact Elizabeth Roberts, PsyD, at 646-754-5053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to list of training programs.