Child Study Center Clinical Psychology Externship Long Island Campus
The Child Study Center, a national leader in the study and treatment of child and adolescent mental health disorders, is offering a year-long externship in clinical psychology at their Long Island Campus, in Lake Success, on the Queens-Nassau county border. An extern is sought for this busy clinical service, which serves children with anxiety disorders, mood disorders, behavioral disorders, and other conditions. The Child Study Center places a strong emphasis on evidenced-based treatment.
This externship program is designed for advanced graduate students (in their third, fourth, or fifth year) in A.P.A. accredited clinical and school-clinical psychology programs. Competitive applicants will have had at least some training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in an applied setting. Applicants will need to be able to arrange their own transportation to the Long Island Campus. The accepted candidate will receive training in cognitive behavioral approaches with children, adolescents and their families.
- Individual psychotherapy: The extern will be the primary therapist for a number of individual therapy cases, with a maximum case load of seven active, weekly patients.
- Training in, and delivery of, evidence-based treatments: The externs will be exposed to evidence-based treatments such as Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT). There is also training and supervision in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for Anxiety Disorders.
- Assessment and diagnostic report writing: The extern will receive exposure to the administration of the gold standard in anxiety disorders assessment, the Anxiety Disorders Interview Schedule (ADIS). He or she will strengthen his diagnostic and report writing skills.
- Co-Therapy: The extern will have the opportunity to participate as an observer and/or co-therapist with experienced clinicians in assessment and treatment sessions.
- Miscellaneous clinical tasks: Although building the externs ' clinical caseloads is our highest priority, we may supplement with a variety of clinically-relevant activities as needed.
- Writing for aboutourkids.org website: There may be opportunities to contribute to the CSC 's award winning website.
- Extern Training Seminar (Thursdays, 12:30-1:45 p.m.).
- One-on-one supervision with licensed psychologists, supplemented individually as needed.
- Case Conference (Thursdays 10 to 12), which includes occasional lectures by guest presenters and discussions of changes and trends in the field with CSC faculty.
Optional Didactic Opportunities:
The following are available to all CSC externs and are optional for the extern at the Long Island site:
- Case Conference at the Manhattan campus of the CSC (Fridays 9-10:30 a.m.).
- Grand Rounds at the Manhattan campus (Fridays 11 a.m. -12:15 p.m.). Please see the CSC's website for a list of the 2012-2013 Grand Round speakers and topics.
- 16-20 hours per week, usually spread over two to three workdays
- Minimum of two evenings per week in order to see patients and families after school
- July 2014 to June 2015 or September 2014 to June 2015, but preference may be given to students who can start in July 2014.
Application and Contact Information:
Applicants must indicate in their letter of interest that they are applying to the Long Island Campus Externship. Those interested in applying should submit a letter of interest, writing sample (intake report preferred), attestation letter from your graduate program stating your eligibility for externship, two to three letters of recommendation (from professors or clinical supervisors) and CV via our online application. Please note if you are interested in applying to more than one externship within the Child Study Center, you must submit an application to each externship separately. Applicants with further questions should contact Clark Goldstein, PhD at 646-754-4906, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be by invitation and held in January and February 2014. The earliest date on which an offer can be made to the student is Monday, March 4th, 2014. Information on the externship application process can be found on the New York State Psychological Association web page.
Back to list of training programs.