Early diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is important as it helps families and schools understand the social, self-regulatory, and organizational needs that often go unaddressed. Appropriate treatment and educational intervention can positively change outcomes for children and are critical to achieving a healthy adult outcome. Diagnosis during adolescence or adulthood can help the affected individual understand and manage existing problems and is important in designing appropriate interventions for individuals who are so frequently misunderstood.
We offer extensive diagnostic and clinical services to address the special needs of children, adolescents, and adults with Autism
Spectrum Disorders and their families.
Specialized services for children and adolescents:
- Diagnostic evaluation, including the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) and the Autism Diagnostic Interview (ADI-R)
- Psychiatric assessment and treatment
- Individual Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT)
- School consultation
- Transitional life planning and support
- College support and preparation for college
- Specialized neuropsychological evaluation
- Interdisciplinary diagnostic evaluation
- Social skills groups
- Family support and education
- Intellectual and adaptive assessment
- Parent Training
Evaluation and Consultation
A member of our specialty team will meet with your family to perform an assessment, which includes an interview and completion of questionnaires. Our goal is to help you understand your child's behavior and specific difficulties, and to provide you with treatment recommendations.
Our services are based on scientific research that indicates which treatments are most beneficial for your child.
- Psychotherapy - Our treatment approach often begins with some form of psychotherapy that is tailored to your child's difficulties. We provide individual, group, and family treatment. We use a treatment approach called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
(CBT) because of its documented success in treating children, adolescents, and adults with comorbid anxiety and depressive disorders and ASDs. CBT is a short term, skills based, problem focused approach.
- Medication - In instances where psychotherapy alone is not sufficient, we can provide a medication consultation. Our doctors are up-to-date and informed on the most effective and safe medications for children and teenagers.
Social Skills Training Groups
Group treatment methods have been demonstrated to be particularly effective for the development of social and emotional skills for
individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Learn more about the group services we offer.
Early Childhood Autism and Communication Disorders Service
Developed by world-renowned autism expert Catherine Lord, PhD, the Early Childhood Autism and Communication Disorders Service
specializes in the comprehensive evaluation and early identification of social and communication difficulties in children as young as 12-months of age. Learn more.
Autism Spectrum Disorders Family Support and Information Group
Family support services are offered including a family workshop series, a support group for parents/caregivers of children newly diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders, and individual consultation services for families who would benefit from support in educational and therapeutic service planning. Click here for more information.