Signs & Symptoms
- A persistent failure to speak in specific social situations in which speaking is expected (e.g., at school) despite speaking in other situations
- Lack of speech which interferes with educational or occupational success
- Silence is of at least one month's duration after the beginning of the school year
- Failure to speak not due to lack of knowledge of language used in the situation
- The disturbance is not solely accounted for by a Communication Disorder, Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder.