Signs & Symptoms
Keep in mind that the following may be signs of other problems as well.
- Physical: Fatigue, repeated health complaints, red and glazed eyes, and a persistent cough
- Emotional: Personality change, sudden mood changes, irritability, irresponsible behavior, low self-esteem, poor judgment, depression, and lack on interest in things that used to provide pleasure
- Family: Starting arguments, breaking rules, missing curfews, or withdrawing, such as spending time behind closed doors
- School: Decreased interest, negative attitude, drop in grades, many absences, and discipline problems
- Social problems: New friends who are less interested in normal home and school activities and who have problems with the law